Tuesday 10 February 2015

Southern Attitude, Bulimba

Last night, She and I headed over to the Balmoral Cinema at Bulimba to see "What We Did On Our Holidays".  It was a little predictable but a good film - funny & feel-good, with a great cast including Billy Connolly and Rosemund Pike.

Post-movie, we went for a stroll along Oxford St to find dinner. It had been a while since we had been there, so had a good look around to see what was new, and if any old favourites had disappeared.

We stumbled upon Southern Attitude. She had heard of it before, but it was brand new to me. After a quick look at the menu outside, we headed in for a meal. Luckily for us, as it turned out, we were both very hungry...

She Says

After a quick glance at the menu it was actually the music that lured me in, always a sucker for Johnny Cash and any other master from that era.... also the pleading eyes from Him were a bit difficult to resist!

There was some discussion about sharing some small plates but He was very keen on the burger menu so we agreed to share burgers and also some fries and onion rings as they are always a good bench mark to measure against other similar 'Southern style' venues.

The onion rings were fantastic - lightly crumbed & hard to resist and unlike somewhere else we visited recently they were not dripping with oil and didn't leave me with a feeling of guilt or regret!

The fries were golden, crunchy and also very good, but for me the onions rings were the pick.  The servings were just right.

A close-up of those yummy sides...

Naturally I opted for the Spicy Texas burger - as I like 'em hot - and it was delicious with a thick Wagyu pattie (not overcooked but pink in the middle) with pickles, habenero mustard & lemon mayonnaise.

For my part it actually could have packed more punch but was very tasty and made His eyes water (but he has no stamina)! Maybe some additional spicy sauce could be offered on the side for the more daring as I do realise it can be a fine balance for a varied crowd.  Service was excellent, friendly, efficient and there when needed.

Confession:  I may have had a peanut butter & chocolate shake but there is no evidence left to prove it... and it was everything it promised on the menu!

Don't tell anyone...!!

He Says

I am a huge burger fan. This can be both a blessing and a curse - a great burger has me in heaven, while a burger badly-done will see me leaving angry and never to return...  I was definitely in a burger mood when we came across Southern Attitude, and the menu looked promising - but I didn't want to ruin a good date night with a dodgy burger! We took a chance anyway and headed on in...

I went straight for the "Burgers & Hoagies" section of the menu, and there was a great range to select from.  I was initially going to go for the Spicy Texas Burger, but She went for that - so I opted for the Smoked Double Bacon Cheese Burger instead.  There's an extensive beer menu (plenty of craft, imported, & local options) but as it was a 'school night', I gave the hard stuff a miss and ordered an A&W root beer to wash it all down.



The burgers and sides (onion rings & fries) were served up attractively on a wooden platter.  I was very pleased, it all looked great!! I waited very patiently for Her to take the obligatory pics before I dove in to my burger.

How good does that look!!

Let's get straight to it - I loved my Cheese Burger! The bacon was smoky, the pickles were bitey, and the wagyu patty was juicy and pink in the middle. It was a cracking burger, definitely one of the better burgers I've ever had.

Halfway through, I did the swap with Her. I've always believed a good burger has some nice crispy lettuce on it, and so thought the Spicy Texas Burger would be the pick of the two - but to my surprise, I thought the Cheese Burger was better! I definitely enjoyed the Texas though, but next time would go for the Cheese all to myself

The sides were good too. The fries were thick and crunchy. The onion rings were not what I expected - I always imagine big, battered rings of awesomeness, but these were smaller and crumbed! They were a very tasty variation though, and they get a thumbs up from me.

My only criticism was the lack of any condiments or sauces on the table. They would have been nice to squirt on the side of the plate for the fries and onion rings - maybe some chilli or tomato sauce, or something along those lines.

I'm looking forward to our next movie night at Balmoral so I can work my way through the rest of their menu, especially the ribs and some of the entrees. We might make it a 'non-school night' so we can hit the bar menu for the beers and cocktails as well!

Some friendly advice on the wall of our booth...

The Details

Address: 189 Oxford St, Bulimba QLD 4171
Ph: 07 3217 9600
Reviews: Urbanspoon, Yelp, TripAdvisor
Cost: $$
Notes: They also do takeaway!

Southern Attitude on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment